I have always loved chocolate covered strawberries, but until recently, I had never made them. It turns out that they are fun and easy to make, and you don’t even need to buy melting chocolate.
1 lb fresh strawberries
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons and 3/4 teaspoon shortening
1. Rinse and dry strawberries.
2. Melt chocolate chips and 2 Tablespoons shortening in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you use the microwave, take them out every thirty seconds and stir well.
3. Dip strawberries in the melted chocolate and set them on waxed paper to cool.
4. Melt white chocolate chips and 3/4 teaspoon shortening. Be careful not to get this too hot or it will be harder to control when drizzling.
5. Pour melted white chocolate into a sandwich bag and snip a small hole in one corner of the bag. This is easiest if you get a helper to hold the bag while you pour.
6. Drizzle melted white chocolate over the strawberries and allow to cool. They do not need to be refrigerated.
At this point, you are done, but there’s no reason to throw away the little bit of chocolate that is left over. There are plenty of things that you can dip in it for an extra snack. I sliced up a banana and rolled the pieces in the left over chocolate. Pretzels are another excellent choice, as are Oreos. Another option is to spread the remaining chocolate on waxed paper and allow it to cool. Once it has hardened, you can break it up and save it for ice cream topping.